Sunday, January 24, 2010

adjusting to life with Josie + when i grow up + hard head

It's been nearly two weeks since Josie was born. We're getting into a pretty good rhythm, though it's hard to say what "real life" looks like yet since Josie is still in a newborn sleepy state. She literally has only been alert for a few hours total in her first two weeks of life outside the womb. She nurses well every 1-1/2 to 2 hours (or every 2-3 hours in the night) and promptly drifts back off to dreamland. Bryan took a few days off work to stay home with us and it has helped us all to be together again to get acclimated to the new pace of life. The older two are adjusting great. Ella has insisted on being my little helper around the house, making her own bed and dusting every surface. She seems as if she has grown up considerably in the last few weeks. She loves her sister and says things like, "Hello, sweetheart!" and kisses her on the forehead. Simon seems completely adjusted to her arrival and not at all threatened by her new status as "the baby." He's quite happy to be her older brother and checks on her and asks about her when he doesn't see her in the same room. His only complaint is that my belly is no longer a good pillow. Before her birth, he loved to snuggle up next to my belly at bedtime and sing songs together. Now he seems to miss his special resting spot.

Fortunately, with Josie's sleepy schedule, I've still been able to help out with the bedtime routine for the older kids. I love this time since it usually makes for the most interesting and intimate conversations with them. Last night, I asked Ella some questions in the darkness of her room.
Me: What do you want to be when you grow up?
Ella: A ballerina princess with makeup.
Me: Oh! That sounds lovely!
Ella: But MOM! What if I forget?
Me: What do you mean Ella? Why would you forget?
Ella: What if I grow up and then I don't remember anymore?
I didn't have the heart to tell her that being a princess isn't really a vocation you can get a degree for...but I suppose that lesson just teaches itself. In the meantime, she can aspire to be the prettiest ballerina princess ever and I won't ruin the dream with reality checks.

In further, less rosey news, I was playing rough with Simon this morning and, having missed being able to horseplay with my children while pregnant, I might have overdone it. I picked him up by his hands to swing him as he giggled with joy and aimed to toss him on his soft cushy bed. Instead, he bounced and knocked his noggin right on the wall behind him. To my horror, it made a dent in the plaster and he began crying! I rushed to comfort him and pulled him to my lap, kissing his face and checking to see if there was a bump. The kid must have hit the hardest part of his head just right on the wall because there was no evidence of injury or pain. As I cuddled with him and apologized profusely, he said, "I love you Momma." At which I nearly crumbled feeling like the worst mom in the whole world! Just one of those moments to keep me humble I suppose...

1 comment:

5onfaith said...

Too sweet with Josie! But it doesn't surprise how good Simon and Ella are with her. And I suppose it's a great thing that your belly doesn't make a good pillow these days, but I understand. This is a fond thing for Soph Grace too! Not to mention the amount of time she spends kissing, hugging or rubbing my belly. Gotta say too, Ella and Simon AND Josie are lucky to have such a rough housing, non dream crushing Mama Rach! You're the best!!!

Free Hit Counter