Wednesday, January 12, 2011

batman birthday


Simon requested a batman party this year to celebrate turning four. (Can it really be true that he's already four??!) We haven't really done a "proper" party for him in the past since we learned through experience (Ella is always the guinea pig) that smaller parties are better until the child is a bit more mature and able to handle all the activity and attention. (Ella always cried when a crowd sang her happy birthday.) This was the first year that we instituted the "guests equal the number of years you are" rule. Simon was able to invite four of his closest buddies and we had a swell time celebrating dark knight style.

We decked out the table with all his favorite junky foods (and threw in some carrots for good measure.)


Always gotta have the chocolate cupcake.

Simon is into all things super hero these days and I wanted him to be able to dress up as Batman for the day. He already had a super cool mask, but no attire. I found some cheap Batman pajamas online at Walmart and considered that the costume. I tracked down capes at Oriental Trading Company and was able to get one for each of our guests so they could join in the fun! The only problem was, the day before the party, I gathered my things to assemble Batman goody bags when I noticed I hadn't counted Simon in on the total when I ordered the capes. I was one cape short! I envisioned teary meltdowns as Simon handed out capes to all his friends and didn't have one for himself. It was too late to order another one (DRAT!) Fortunately, I had a remnant of black satin stored away in the basement (leftover from the dress I had made for my senior prom...gasp!...I am NOT a hoarder!) I whipped together a cape, amidst muttering under my breath how annoyed I was at myself for miscounting, that made Simon look the part! He wore it all day and has even asked to sleep in it (I denied the request since it ties around the neck and I was afraid he'd wake up in the night strangulating!)

The boys all played nice and there were no tears, fights or black eyes. I was rather pleased with the whole affair! There was even space for some adult conversation! My only regret is that we didn't wrestle all the boys down to get a photo of them in their capes. It was a little too high energy to remember such things...

Simon got a batmobile from his friend Gabe. It's super cool.

No comments:

Free Hit Counter