Thursday, June 2, 2011

nuts about broccoli

My son is a health nut in the making. He loves vegetables and isn't a big fan of all the "normal" foods kids are supposed to like. He passes on macaroni and cheese every time as well as cheese burgers and other such fare. I have to admit, I make a killer pizza, yet he complains. Tonight's meal was homemade sausage pizza on Naan bread, a real treat. As soon as he saw it, he said, "Awwww....I don't like pizza very much!" But I made a big helping of green leafy salad on the side with broccoli, cucumbers and carrots. Ella dug right into the pizza first as both kids leave their least favorite thing till last and devour their favorite flavors first. I usually have to get involved by asking them to take a couple of bites of the less favored item before filling their stomachs with the stuff they think is yummiest. This ALWAYS happens when there is toast involved, or lemonade or, in Ella's case, macaroni and cheese. But tonight, with Simon, it was broccoli. He devoured all his broccoli (raw, mind you) first, munching and crunching and all the time thanking me for such a yummy salad. When his broccoli was all gone, he worked on some of the lettuce but then asked, "Can I have some more broccoli please Mom?" in his most polite tone. I had to snicker to myself when I replied with, "Eat a few bites of pizza first buddy and then you can have more broccoli." In the end, Ella cringed as she downed her broccoli so I let Simon finish hers.

It just doesn't seem right. But I think it's pretty cool.

1 comment:

Martha Melody said...

Oh man, I SO hope a little kiddo of mine down the road inherits my love for broccoli, and for eating healthy in general! Anytime Simon wants someone to eat broccoli with him, tell him he's got a friend!

Free Hit Counter