Sunday, May 4, 2008

vocabulary lesson & don't sleep with your mouth full

Ella's favorite thing for me to do with her has always been reading books. She just loves the time spent together and if I'm not reading, she's pretending to read the stories to herself. It's been this way since she was nine months old. So in the last several weeks, we've moved on to reading chapter books since I thought she might be intrigued by some stories that are ongoing. It's been really fun! The first one we finished was "Ramona Forever" by Beverly Cleary. She liked that one so much we checked out "Ramona Quimby, Age 8" from the library. Tonight, as we were finishing up the last two chapters, we came across a few words that were new to her vocabulary.

Ella: What does 'responsibility' mean?
Me: Well, 'responsibility' means something that you're in charge of. Like since I'm your mommy,
it's my responsibility to take care of you and I'm in charge of you.
Ella: Like sometimes when I'm not obedient you tell me I'm not in charge?
Me: Yes, just like that!

I'm so amazed and entertained by the way this little girl's brain works. She's just so verbally sharp and is always putting words together and filing away information. Such a cutie pie!

Another entertaining moment of the day was at lunchtime. Sundays are always a challenge because the kids get pretty tuckered out by the time we make it home from church. Today as we were eating our lunch, Simon was having a difficult time staying awake while he was eating his sandwich. His eyelids were heavy and he kept shaking himself awake but continued to stuff the sandwich in his mouth. Ella kept giggling at him and saying "he's soo tired!" Bryan was scrambling to get the batteries in the camera so we could film him but poor Simon...we just had to get him out of his high chair so he could lie down. He's done this multiple times...I'll post an older video of him doing this once I get it downloaded. Poor little guy...


No comments:

Free Hit Counter