Thursday, September 9, 2010

simon's first day of preschool


Simon's first official day of preschool was today! I was worried when both kids had to be woken from their dreams early this morning. Both wanted to linger in their beds. And Simon persisted that he didn't want to go to school. I refused to be shaken though and insisted that the day would be full of fun and playing and new friends and he sluggishly got on board.

He wanted to wear his new overalls, but I was worried about him getting tangled up during bathroom breaks (a mom must think through all possible scenarios sometimes, you know.) So he obliged me and put on the alternate outfit which I had picked out for him. He looked like such a big boy!


And I couldn't resist the shot of the shoes:


His excitement grew as we got closer to "his" school and he proceeded straight to his class. What a big day this was!

That's my boy!
When we got to his classroom, he looked around apprehensively and seemed to study everyone. But he didn't waste too much time being shy. He went right over to the crowded table, found a spot, and began assembling a train.


He barely looked up to see if I was still around! I was amazed. What a guy. I knew he was going to have no trouble with this at all. And so I made my exit.

I watched the clock to make sure I didn't miss my cue to leave the house in time to be one of the first moms in line to pick him up. As I approached the building, I was pleased to see I had gotten there early enough that there were hardly any cars lined up, vying for parking spaces. Then my phone rang.
Preschool: "Mrs. Mowrey?"
Me: "Yes?"
Preschool: "This is Therese from Union Preschool."
Me: "Yes?"
Preschool: "We still have Simon."
  I thought to myself, "Hmmm......what does she mean exactly?"
Me: "Ok...school's out at 11:45, right? I'm just pulling up."
Preschool: "No, Mrs. Mowrey. 11:15."
Me: Dying just a little inside, "Oh my gosh! I'll be right there!"
It was the first day of preschool. And I was a half and hour late picking up my son. All the other children were long gone. And I used up my son's teacher's lunch hour in my tardiness. Can I just tell you how horrified I was? Horrified. Mortified. Aghast. Agape. You know....I felt....BAD.

But then Simon was all smiles when I met him on the stairs. And as we loaded up in the car, I asked him, "What was your favorite part of being at school today, buddy?" And he answered, "Playing the piano with Mrs. Visintine after all the other kids left." I must buy that teacher some flowers!

1 comment:

JenHahn said...

hilarious! Addie has Mrs. Visitine in the afternoons. She seems like a pro.

Free Hit Counter